Fake PS3 Controller not connecting through BT

As it has been hard to find any second hand PS3 original controllers in my country, I've bought a rebranded controller which works perfectly fine with my PS3, and also works shibari through USB, however, it won't connect through BT as my other original controller does.

I've tried by best on google, but haven't found anything of use that solves my problem, and I've tried to reset the controller. Is there anyone who knows a trick or two?

I have a background in computer science, so don't hold back on technical details in a solutions, although i hope to avoid the need build from source as the time is limited with small children that wants to play games 😄 .

System specs

• Windows 10 computer with build-in BT motherboard
  • Shibari working flawlessly with original PS3 controller through said BT
  • Installed the latest release of of BthPs3 from github (From April 2020)
  • Got shibari release from early October 2020.

Here's screenshot of the controller and a screenshot of shibari,

ps3 fake controller.jpg

shibari.png

@walkerjunker hello and welcome!

Please follow this and post the results here 😉

Cheers

@nefarius said in Fake PS3 Controller not connecting through BT:

@walkerjunker hello and welcome!

Please follow this and post the results here 😉

Cheers

Results are attached here, thanks for taking the time! If you don't feel like getting a file from a stranger, please tell me more in depth what you're looking after 😄

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OwLDNGZ74mDHe_qMkqo2M2K4kwCKFJ6k/view?usp=sharing

Btw, Shibari has been running while I've done the trace.
The trace consists of

• Connecting the fake controller by USB until Shibari recognized it and disconnected it again.
  • Connecting the original controller by USB until Shibari recognized it and disconnected it again. Here the controller picks up the BT signal and is then connected by BT.

@walkerjunker found the issue:

++ Device A05A5C34C8D7 name: Pro Controller

I'm afraid you're out of luck with this thing 😦

Cheers

If you still wanna try your luck you can do the following:

In regedit navigate to the key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BthPS3\Parameters and add Pro Controller to the value named SIXAXISSupportedNames like so:

33b94391-381b-4815-853c-52fbfe225d68-image.png

Don't forget the newline at the end and make no spelling mistake. Then try to connect the fake one again and make a new trace.

Also watch the Event Log for messages like in the article I linked above.

Cheers

If you still wanna try your luck you can do the following:

In regedit navigate to the key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BthPS3\Parameters and add Pro Controller to the value named SIXAXISSupportedNames like so:

33b94391-381b-4815-853c-52fbfe225d68-image.png

Don't forget the newline at the end and make no spelling mistake. Then try to connect the fake one again and make a new trace.

Also watch the Event Log for messages like in the article I linked above.

Cheers

Once again, thanks for helping out, really appreciate it :). I can see that I've made a bad buy I'm afraid.

I've tried to insert it into the supportnames + newline, but it doesn't budge. Nothing is happening when i disconnect the USB cable.
New trace: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dndLPDo0nmTGlKUyCtGAzlDQ3cgUvCyq/view?usp=sharing

I've looked at the trace myself in eventviewer, and not a lot is happening. We're getting an errorcode 15003, but not something particular for the BthPS3.. I'll try a new trace. (Edit2). New trace is not more interesting I'm afraid. Is there something you can get out of it?

(Edit) I've now neither success pairing my original controller by BT, something has changed :P. I'll try a reboot at see what happens. (Edit3) Reboot doesn't do anything, neither do removing the added lines in the regedit property.
Untitled.png

The last supplied trace is empty I'm afraid!

@nefarius Third is a charm,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OwLDNGZ74mDHe_qMkqo2M2K4kwCKFJ6k/view?usp=sharing

I've also peaked at the systemlog and it is providing me with the following messages i'm afraid. Any way to disable the necessity for encryption?

Systemlog (ordered asc):

• "Windows rejected a device connection because the device didn't establish encryption prior to the service level connection."
  • "The mutual authentication between the local Bluetooth adapter and a device with Bluetooth adapter address (a0:5a:5c:34:c8:d7) failed." (Error)
  • "A command sent to the adapter has timed out. The adapter did not respond."

Nice summary! Nope, that is baked into the MS drivers as the standard requires it, that is unavailable I'm afraid so that controller will never work with this solution on Windows. Sad Pepe.

Nice summary! Nope, that is baked into the MS drivers as the standard requires it, that is unavailable I'm afraid so that controller will never work with this solution on Windows. Sad Pepe.

Are you absolutely sure that there is nothing that can be done? I've read some issues for your SCPToolkit, and there are some people that have tried to modify the source code with success. Of course, i can't say anything about how comparable this is to my issue 😛

Could there be any luck by extracting more information about the controller and then by modifying your source code and recomping the BTHPS3 driver. I don't need support, just some pointers on where i should be looking and after what :p,

Once again, cheers and I happy new years!

you'd need a custom bluetooth stack to get it to work in windows 10 maybe?

basically, the controller in question probably isn't giving a strong enough passkey that windows likes for the encryption.

you might find some success with an older version of windows 10.

@fliptw said in Fake PS3 Controller not connecting through BT:

you'd need a custom bluetooth stack to get it to work in windows 10 maybe?

basically, the controller in question probably isn't giving a strong enough passkey that windows likes for the encryption.

you might find some success with an older version of windows 10.

Either that or an successful flash of the controller.

Just wierd finding all these fixes for "fake" controllers. I have however not tried any yet, but I will report back of whether I have luck although it seems very slim 😄

These fixes you find have nothing to do with BthPS3 and the way it works and will never work with it, SCP works completely differently. You can read more here and here.

You can not have the vanilla Bluetooth stack and these fakes working without sacrificing the complete dongle (like SCP and AirBender did), that's it. End of the line. You can believe me or... not 😛

Cheers

@nefarius

I belive you completely and I understand the difference now, thanks for the links! 😊