DS3 works as intended, but DS4 won't pair as expected.

• Running a totally updated Windows 10 pro here, with original DS4 and DS3 gamepads.

I've been using Shibari for months, using both DS3 and DS4 controllers to play with no problems at all.
    I'm aware the expected behavior for connecting the DS4 is: 1-press the home button. 2-Light stops flashing and it doesn't connect. 3-Press the home button within the next 10 seconds and it's connected. and that's what I've done for months.

The problem is: it used to work like that, but not anymore. I'm not sure when it started to happen (some weeks ago, maybe?) but now when I want to connect the DS4 I need to go to the bluetooth device manager, remove the "Wireless Controller" device, and then go through the process of adding a "new" device. I need to press Share+Home buttons so the controller goes into pairing mode for it to work. Every, single, time.

DS3 still works as intended.

Steps I've tried:

• Uninstalling and reinstalling the whole pack (bthps3-fireshock-vigemBUS-shibari) several times.

• Uninstalling every BT driver on my system and installing it all over again.

• I assumed Windows was kind of messing withe drivers, overwriting them, or something changed, so today I just took the time to backup my documents, format the C drive and install Win10 from scratch. Only to find that, after installing everything, It stills behaves the same and I need to remove and add the device every single time.
      Shibari Service is running. Tried the same manually starting the .exe instad of using the service, still no luck.

Something that I just found out that might be important:
    Right after adding the device, if I turn off the controller (with home+triangle if in Steam or home+L1+R1 it Steam is not running) it works as intended for some time, meaning that if I press the home button, the controller stops flashing after one or two seconds, and if I press it again it connects. But if I wait for some minutes after turning it off, or restart the computer... it's the same all over again and I still need to remove+add the device manually.

I know I still can use the controllers, but it's not ideal since my computer was all set up to just sit on the coach and play games or movies on the TV, no keyboard or mouse required, only the controller. Now I have to use keyboard + mouse to add the new device every time I turn on the computer.

I'm missing something obvious here? Is it about some kind of power management in Windows? I don't think so since DS3 IS connecting like a charm. I'm starting to be kind of desperate, I didn't want to bug you guys out with some obvious problem so I even formatted before coming here for help, but I'm out of options now. Please help 😧

• @Portos

@Portos said in DS3 works as intended, but DS4 won't pair as expected.:

Running a totally updated Windows 10 pro here, with original DS4 and DS3 gamepads.

I've been using Shibari for months, using both DS3 and DS4 controllers to play with no problems at all.
    I'm aware the expected behavior for connecting the DS4 is: 1-press the home button. 2-Light stops flashing and it doesn't connect. 3-Press the home button within the next 10 seconds and it's connected. and that's what I've done for months.

The problem is: it used to work like that, but not anymore. I'm not sure when it started to happen (some weeks ago, maybe?) but now when I want to connect the DS4 I need to go to the bluetooth device manager, remove the "Wireless Controller" device, and then go through the process of adding a "new" device. I need to press Share+Home buttons so the controller goes into pairing mode for it to work. Every, single, time.

DS3 still works as intended.

Steps I've tried:

• Uninstalling and reinstalling the whole pack (bthps3-fireshock-vigemBUS-shibari) several times.

• Uninstalling every BT driver on my system and installing it all over again.

• I assumed Windows was kind of messing withe drivers, overwriting them, or something changed, so today I just took the time to backup my documents, format the C drive and install Win10 from scratch. Only to find that, after installing everything, It stills behaves the same and I need to remove and add the device every single time.
      Shibari Service is running. Tried the same manually starting the .exe instad of using the service, still no luck.

Something that I just found out that might be important:
    Right after adding the device, if I turn off the controller (with home+triangle if in Steam or home+L1+R1 it Steam is not running) it works as intended for some time, meaning that if I press the home button, the controller stops flashing after one or two seconds, and if I press it again it connects. But if I wait for some minutes after turning it off, or restart the computer... it's the same all over again and I still need to remove+add the device manually.

I know I still can use the controllers, but it's not ideal since my computer was all set up to just sit on the coach and play games or movies on the TV, no keyboard or mouse required, only the controller. Now I have to use keyboard + mouse to add the new device every time I turn on the computer.

I'm missing something obvious here? Is it about some kind of power management in Windows? I don't think so since DS3 IS connecting like a charm. I'm starting to be kind of desperate, I didn't want to bug you guys out with some obvious problem so I even formatted before coming here for help, but I'm out of options now. Please help 😧

Also I want to add that I've of course tried to hard reset my controller and didn't fix it either.

• I'm updating just in case someone is ever in a similar situation:

Update: it seems that my DS4 doesn't properly work. Does the same when trying to use it on my Playstation 4. Also tried two different DS4 and they DO work as intended. I think my broken DS4 somehow forgets the last connected MAC address. The memory that stores this address is now volatile, making it remember the last MAC address while it still has some residual electricity, but forgets it the moment it goes away.

It's similar to when the battery in a PC is gone, so the bios resets to default when you unplug the computer for more than a couple of minutes.

I could workaround the issue by having some background process in Win10 that automatically removes the disconnected devices AND stays in a searchable status and accepts automatically to whitelisted MACs, that way I could connect the DS4 by just setting it in pairing mode (share+PS buttons).

Any ideas about how to do that?