Is it possible to create a virtual Logitech G27 wheel?

• I know it's not currently supported, but I want to know if it's possible for ViGEm to someday emulate the wheel without relying on special hardware, just like the XBOX 360 controller.

Is it possible, or a hardware is really needed for this case?

• That's entirely possible from a technical perspective, although - well obviously - someone would need to reverse engineer and implement it as an additional emulation target.

Cheers

• @nefarius That's cool! I thought it might be the same case of XBOX One controllers (where one needs the real controller to authenticate (as implementing a software solution would cause license issues), but I'm happy that's not the case!

With some many things being emulated, I just think it's very, very weird no one created such a thing up to now!

Thanks for your reply!

• @asdearius said in Is it possible to create a virtual Logitech G27 wheel?:

@nefarius That's cool! I thought it might be the same case of XBOX One controllers (where one needs the real controller to authenticate (as implementing a software solution would cause license issues), but I'm happy that's not the case!

This I do not know. Yes, it's unfortunately becoming more common to embed protocol encryption or at least some sort of authentication handshake because the big vendors - understandably - don't like their hardware being ripped off by some foreign replica creators while not contributing to licensing and the software behind whatsoever. If the device requires crypto, it's not impossible but at least for me annoying enough to not deal with that ever.

@asdearius said in Is it possible to create a virtual Logitech G27 wheel?:

With some many things being emulated, I just think it's very, very weird no one created such a thing up to now!

Because kernel-driver development is hell. You need a special state of mind, knowledge and dedication to pull through with that pain 😅 And money to burn. And time. And probably a masochistic trait 😛

Cheers