I've started a company

• Ahoy, fellas! 🀠

Time for the first really epic news in this year πŸ˜‰ I've launched a company! Hooray! πŸŽ‰

And the name shall be (no joke):

Nefarius Software Solutions e.U.

by yours truly: Benjamin HΓΆglinger-Stelzer (and mascot)

Don't worry, I won't turn this site into Instagram to host my disturbing mugshots but I though you deserve a glimpse behind the curtains now that things have turned "serious" 😏 Revealing that there's a real person behind the pony, lame jokes and walls of emojis πŸ˜…

Uh, why?

Great question! I've initially hit "the scene" (toying around with Gaming peripherals) in mid-2014 because I was an idiot and bought a Sony DualShock 3 for my Windows HTPC to play 2D platformers on via Bluetooth. Since that was in no way a plug-and-play solution (despite the Bluetooth-compatible sticker it had 😠 ) I started looking for community solutions to get it working and found the infamous thread of Scarlet.Crush (who allegedly died from all the support requests he received. Just kidding, I have no idea what happend to him or her). Then after I made the mistake of taking care of the XInput Wrapper for DS3 and Play.com USB Dual DS2 Controller project and re-branding it as the even more infamous ScpToolkit I dove heads-on into the mystical and horrifying world of Windows Device Driver Development. Oh boy.

Now, my posts have the bad habit of branching out and me losing track while crafting them so I keep things as short as possible to not bore my audience to death.

TL;DR: if you want to publish drivers you need an Extended Validation Certificate (or EV for short) to gain access to the Chamber of Secrets (the Microsoft Hardware Partner Portal). Individuals can't purchase EV certificates, only companies can. Therefore I've registered a so-called sole proprietorship (basically a corporation consisting of a single individual) and got me one:

DigiShot.jpg

Last mugshot, I promise! πŸ˜†

But you've been releasing drivers for almost two years now...

That's right! To get me started, I got a sponsorship in the past. The expenses were covered by a company (which shall remain nameless) while the certificate was in the name of a good friend of mine, who bailed with his name. Everything was good until the Fire Nation attacked. Wait, no, wrong universe πŸ€”

Unfortunately in a sad turn of events this trust-based partnership has now come to an end for reasons which are of private nature and don't belong on the web so I won't go any deeper on this. What I have to clarify though is that from this very moment forward no piece of material signed with a certificate of the Wohlfeil.IT e.U. is crafted by me anymore! Just keep that in mind πŸ˜‰

You're still slow as f-

Oh yeah, right, another piece of news! πŸ˜… Since I love you folks all so much (note to self: don't insult the four people reading this) and want to continue and even improve this mess I call my projects I also made the decision to reduce hours on my day job to get more time for drivers. Cool, huh? πŸŽ‰ Now that's not the case yet but I'll keep you updated. If the posts stop here I probably had to sell my home and electronics because it was the wrong move but we'll see about that πŸ˜…

Uh, yeah, so... I'm off now doing CEO stuff I guess 😁

Cheers!