Leaving ScpToolkit behind (probably a stupid question)

• I'm a simple use who wants to use my PS3 controller (USB only) and I have a question.

I did notice that development for ScpToolkit was dead and I was hoping to wait for an alternative. ScpToolkit still works mostly fine for me (the biggest problem I have is that sometimes, the controller doesn't get picked up (four lights blinking) until I re-start the service via the installer (the only way I found to reliably do it)). I was kinda following the development of ViGEm until that point.

Then, I came across that topic (https://forums.vigem.org/topic/252/here-is-the-news) and one piece of information struck me: "This driver has some dangerous flaws and shouldn't be used anymore."

That puts me in kind of a pickle since the documentation is still full of warnings that the project is still in an alpha state and is not an alternative to ScpToolkit, but at the same time it seems that ScpToolkit is something to be avoided.

So the question is, should I transition from ScpToolkit to the new driver (I THINK it's Fireshock + Shibari, since I'm only using my PS3 controller via USB, but I'm not sure)? On top of that, the topic I linked to shows that a new version of Fireshock is coming up. So if I should transition, should I do it now, or wait for the new one? Even if ScpToolkit still works kinda fine (and probably the only reason why I could play The Force Unleashed with a controller)?

It's probably a pretty stupid question, but this project feels a bit confusing to me (especially without a proper website).

Thanks for your answer in advance.

• @pole7645 said in Leaving ScpToolkit behind (probably a stupid question):

Then, I came across that topic (https://forums.vigem.org/topic/252/here-is-the-news) and one piece of information struck me: "This driver has some dangerous flaws and shouldn't be used anymore."

I should have probably worded that better, my apologies. What's flawed ist the ScpVBus, when Shaul and I analysed it years back we found a bug which may (or will) cause weird side-effects when you use a virtual SCP X360 controller in combination with a real physical one. We've attempted to fix that but then again, this was in an early time where I was nowhere near as comfortable in writing and diagnosing kernel drivers as I am today. So while SCP won't harm your machine if you use it properly, it might lead to unforeseen consequences when mixed with physical controllers.

@pole7645 said in Leaving ScpToolkit behind (probably a stupid question):

That puts me in kind of a pickle since the documentation is still full of warnings that the project is still in an alpha state and is not an alternative to ScpToolkit, but at the same time it seems that ScpToolkit is something to be avoided.

It's just an advice. If it still works for your particular setup, hey, stick with it! 😃

So the question is, should I transition from ScpToolkit to the new driver (I THINK it's Fireshock + Shibari, since I'm only using my PS3 controller via USB, but I'm not sure)? On top of that, the topic I linked to shows that a new version of Fireshock is coming up. So if I should transition, should I do it now, or wait for the new one? Even if ScpToolkit still works kinda fine (and probably the only reason why I could play The Force Unleashed with a controller)?

Same deal with my advice for the current situation: if SCP works for you - ignoring bugs that are not addressed - then stick with it.

If you like to experiment with something not as user-friendly to install as SCP but stable (at least wired/USB) try Shibari in combination with FireShock Gen2.

It's probably a pretty stupid question, but this project feels a bit confusing to me (especially without a proper website).

Nah it isn't stupid, it is confusing, I admit but let me explain. The day only allows for a few steps of progress. If I work on a polished site, I can't research or code. If I devote more time to giving support - especially to discontinued projects - I can't research or code. You get the idea. So recently I decided to form at least somewhat of a plan: stop dumping time into the useless blog, use the forum. Stop building a polished documentation platform for something that is in itself not yet polished. Instead utilize the forum.

I also greatly underestimated the task of replacing SCP as a whole suite and pleasing everyone. I dove into driver development in mid-2016 with zero background knowledge. I had to build up know-how and confidence in the protocols involved (USB, HID, HCI, L2CAP, ...) and get familiar with kernel development, debugging and pitfalls. Besides my day job. It's nuts. If you think about it, I'd belong in a mental asylum 😆 All of the DS3-related projects (excluding ViGEm because that's stable and a project on its own) I started since abandoning SCP were really test beds and until like three months ago all my small and devoted community and I did was research and development. But now the puzzle pieces slowly all fall together and we shift from guessing to producing. Exciting times.

What I've also learned is to hold back on releases that have alpha/beta character. It just fuels the confusion and leads to more support inquiries which hold me back from coding. So the best strategy I could settle on is to publish progress like I started doing with my DS3 Bluetooth research. And if I don't get struck by lightning this will become a product you can simply install with a setup, pick up your controller and have a go 🤠

Hope that could shed some light on the subject.

Cheers