Bluetooth Filter Driver for DS3-compatibility - research notes

• How future proof is this filter solution? Do you think it is possible for Windows to make such a change in a update that could break it or you think that is unlikely or just straight up impossible unless windows change in a fundamental way?

Sorry if this is no place to ask or if my question does not make much sense. I am no developer/coder in any meaningful way, but I know just enough about coding to understand your posts here and I find it really interesting to know how this actually works. I would really appreciate to hear your thoughts on this with some insight on why and how windows could or couldn't break this in the near future.
    Also, thanks for your work on the ScpToolKit and on maintaining this posts on the development! I find myself refreshing this page many times a day just to see your explanations on how you are making your way through this.

• @kirian said in Bluetooth Filter Driver for DS3-compatibility - research notes:

How future proof is this filter solution? Do you think it is possible for Windows to make such a change in a update that could break it or you think that is unlikely or just straight up impossible unless windows change in a fundamental way?

Heya! This is actually the most future-proof you can get. Apart from the filter driver which proxies the forbidden PSMs the profile/bus driver uses a standard DDI (Device Driver Interface) provided by Microsoft which exists since (at least) Windows XP and is documented fairly well (see here and here). Microsoft is the grand master of backwards compatibility so I expect this to last quite a fair bit without the need of updates once it's deemed stable.

@kirian said in Bluetooth Filter Driver for DS3-compatibility - research notes:

Sorry if this is no place to ask or if my question does not make much sense. I am no developer/coder in any meaningful way, but I know just enough about coding to understand your posts here and I find it really interesting to know how this actually works. I would really appreciate to hear your thoughts on this with some insight on why and how windows could or couldn't break this in the near future.

Perfectly fine to ask here, this thread isn't meant to be only fed by myself, it's just my chaotic attempt of Rubber Duck Debugging and leaving a trail of insights on this "black magic" in kernel land 😉 Research and development as I like to call it.

I mean as far as the profile driver goes since it's a common practice to write profile drivers (well, probably not anymore because literally any standard device has one already) and the API is "official" and not some binary patching nonsense I'm pretty confident that this will outlive at least SCP 😝

As for the PSM proxy... That's a bit of a risky move because I'm shipping around a function that was probably designed with a meaningful goal in mind and here I walz in and build a bridge across the forbidden river 😉 We will see, I guess 😇

Also this method is far more likely to pass WHQL as I don't have to run the whole test battery directly against the USB device itself since the original driver is kept in place. With AirBender/WireShock I'd probably get a few dirty looks when I submit an INF file with a couple of dozen Hardware IDs which aren't mine to the Microsoft Portal 😉 Plus the user gets to keep all of their other Bluetooth devices connected, isn't that lovely 👍

@kirian said in Bluetooth Filter Driver for DS3-compatibility - research notes:

Also, thanks for your work on the ScpToolKit and on maintaining this posts on the development! I find myself refreshing this page many times a day just to see your explanations on how you are making your way through this.

Glad to hear I'm not only feeding my echo chamber 😆 Yeah, SCP's kind of my Dark Ages, it changed me in a lot of ways. Thanks for sticking around and showing interest 😃

Cheers

• Hm, disabling/shutting down the profile device causes crashes due to referencing freed memory. Next challenge is to trace along the whole connection/disconnection state machine and identify race conditions and whatnot 😪

• Let's welcome this new week by finishing a major bug fix: properly hardening the shutdown sequence to disconnect remote devices and free resources afterwards 🤠

972d30ca-3706-4250-832d-f6d3d84ad145-image.png

Now entering hibernation 💤

• @nefarius said in Bluetooth Filter Driver for DS3-compatibility - research notes:

Now entering hibernation 💤

I really liked that one 😂 I registered to the forum just to reply to this...

Now getting serious, I've been following this topic, let me tell you that is awesome. I was a programmer myself when I was young, like 20 years ago, nothing like this, mostly enterprise application, databases and stuff, so I have a fair idea of the whole development process thing. This thread has been very interesting to follow, I didn't know how many things got involved in developing drivers and stuff related to hardware, very interesting.
    Also, your previous post about hunting the bug related to the crash when device got disabled, it got me thinking in other things that could happen that could be related...

What happens when

1. The controller is moved out of range of the bluetooth receiver
    2. The bluetooth receiver is disabled in the Device Manager (eg. if the receiver is embedded in a wifi card like the Intel ones on laptops)
    3. The bluetooth receiver is disconnected from the host (eg. the receiver it's a USB dongle type)
    4. If the controller get connected to host via USB cable while operating/connected via Bluetooth protocol, do it still operates or got it disconnected???
    5. Does the controller start to charge its internal battery when is connected to host via USB cable?

I'm sure you already considered this scenarios, but I got curious about the answer to this events.
    Anyway, let thank your for your effort in this, I really appreciate it.
    It's really amazing to see that somebody got the time, knowledge and motivation to write this. In other OS like linux, this works out-of-the-box, also on NVidia Shield TV, but on windows it's disappointing to have to resort to third-party solutions to be able use our gamepads properly.

Also, what is the HARDWARE id that get reported to OS when the PS3 controllers are connected via this driver?

• @pnkiller78 said in Bluetooth Filter Driver for DS3-compatibility - research notes:

Now getting serious, I've been following this topic, let me tell you that is awesome. I was a programmer myself when I was young, like 20 years ago, nothing like this, mostly enterprise application, databases and stuff, so I have a fair idea of the whole development process thing. This thread has been very interesting to follow, I didn't know how many things got involved in developing drivers and stuff related to hardware, very interesting.

Welcome, mate 🙂 I've been trying to steer my career towards programming as a full-time profession but so far that hasn't really worked so I went back to doing everything the way I like and devote time to device driver development. Not my loss so far 😝 I struggled a lot in the past while developing the other projects and found this style of "blogging" to be a good way to both reflect on what I've been doing and as a reference and timeline for myself and other people interested. Sounds like it's a good strategy.

@pnkiller78 said in Bluetooth Filter Driver for DS3-compatibility - research notes:

Also, your previous post about hunting the bug related to the crash when device got disabled, it got me thinking in other things that could happen that could be related...
    What happens when

Thanks for participating, let's go through the points one by one:

@pnkiller78 said in Bluetooth Filter Driver for DS3-compatibility - research notes:

The controller is moved out of range of the bluetooth receiver

Then after a certain timeout the host driver (the one which controls the Bluetooth host device, a.k.a. "stock driver") will initiate a disconnect sequence and notifies the profile driver that the device is gone and now my clean-up code takes over. So far this case is handled properly. Should test it though 🤔

The bluetooth receiver is disabled in the Device Manager (eg. if the receiver is embedded in a wifi card like the Intel ones on laptops)

That's a typical power down event and since the profile driver is a child of the bthport.sys which then gets unloaded it receives shutdown indication as well and needs to dispose all connections and free memory before unloading the profile driver. So far this is handled already.

The bluetooth receiver is disconnected from the host (eg. the receiver it's a USB dongle type)

This case is called "surprise removal" and is also handled. When the parent is gone, the whole stack gets demolished. The profile children (PDOs) get removed, the profile driver enters clean-up and unloads, then the stock drivers unload. This is also implemented and tested.

If the controller get connected to host via USB cable while operating/connected via Bluetooth protocol, do it still operates or got it disconnected???

This is in fact an absurd case because the SIXAXIS/DS3 does not disconnect from Bluetooth when connected to USB while also connected wireless. That's a scenario I haven't tackled yet ❗

Does the controller start to charge its internal battery when is connected to host via USB cable?

Yes, despite all the BS and false information you find on the web there is no special driver required for the controller to charge via a standard 500 mA USB outlet. It also charges with a simple mobile phone charger, if it doesn't it has a hardware issue, not a software one. It does report battery charge level via software though on both USB and Bluetooth.

I'm sure you already considered this scenarios, but I got curious about the answer to this events.

I try to think of all aspects, especially because I wanna get this through WHQL so the quality and robustness has to be stellar 😉

Anyway, let thank your for your effort in this, I really appreciate it.
    It's really amazing to see that somebody got the time, knowledge and motivation to write this. In other OS like linux, this works out-of-the-box, also on NVidia Shield TV, but on windows it's disappointing to have to resort to third-party solutions to be able use our gamepads properly.

Thanks, I might have just slipped into insanity without noticing 😆 Seriously though, it's been quite the challenge getting this and real-life obstacles handled in one go but as I'm adapting my life to support this stuff I might be able to keep this rodeo going until production-ready 😅 Linux has the advantage of the open kernel and contributors have added the Sony-specific customization a long time ago. On Windows you need to play after the rules of Microsoft. And dance with the devil in kernel-land where the forbidden fruits grow and magic can be found even to this day!

Also, what is the HARDWARE id that get reported to OS when the PS3 controllers are connected via this driver?

I created some custom, GUID-based Hardware IDs the function drivers will use in the future.

Hope I got everything, cheers!

• @nefarius said in Bluetooth Filter Driver for DS3-compatibility - research notes:

Hope I got everything, cheers!

Wow, I'm really impressed... I'm pretty sure that I'm going to use this driver when it get released intro production.
    I only regret having bought a Mayflash Wireless Adapter like 3-4 months ago to use my SIXAXIS/DS3 wireless without having to sacrifice the bluetooth receiver on a PC that I use to play retro games. 😅 I needed to use a wireless headphones to play at night, so that's why I needed the bluetooth device on the host working with standard drivers (not dedicated to just the controller), to be able to connect the headphones... you know, I didn't want the wife to be mad at me for being playing games at night.... 😒

I forgot to ask... how is going to be the process to pair the controller with the host receiver? I don't remember exactly, but in the old days of ScpToolkit and Motioninjoy there was a small utility to set the host's bluetooth mac to which the controller should connect when the user pressed the PS button... please correct me if I'm wrong... how is going to be now?

• @pnkiller78 said in Bluetooth Filter Driver for DS3-compatibility - research notes:

I forgot to ask... how is going to be the process to pair the controller with the host receiver? I don't remember exactly, but in the old days of ScpToolkit and Motioninjoy there was a small utility to set the host's bluetooth mac to which the controller should connect when the user pressed the PS button... please correct me if I'm wrong... how is going to be now?

That's still the same; you send a single request to the device via USB updating the host MAC address it shall connect to. This can be done via SCP, FireShock or even WinUSB and a bit of custom code. No biggie.

I'll provide a tool for that.

• Ugh, I'm on a hunt. A bug hunt. And it's always issues I've introduced myself 😆

2: kd> !analyze -v
    *******************************************************************************
    *                                                                             *
    *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
    *                                                                             *
    *******************************************************************************

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)
    An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
    interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high.  This is usually
    caused by drivers using improper addresses.
    If kernel debugger is available get stack backtrace.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: ffffe000c63b0dd4, memory referenced
    Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL
    Arg3: 0000000000000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
    Arg4: fffff800ccac6434, address which referenced memory

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is the most misleading bugcheck there is because the IRQL has little to do with this particular case, it's just me accessing freed memory:

ca8ee713-3e75-4251-8632-5c2c9e29e881-image.png

A classic 😁

• Hello @nefarius,
    What wonderful work you have been doing!

If you could put the code on github, (possibly just your “src” ans “include” directories {and licence of course}, so that noobs won’t compile and break their system.). It would allow some of us to have a more in-depth read-through of your code.

Otherwise, keep up the amazing work; I look forward to seeing the code in person.

Cam.

• @da2ce7 Greetings. The plan is indeed to move to GitHub once the project is mature and stable enough. Right now it will stay private 😁

• Pop the champagne, another milestone reached 🍾

SIXAXIS/DualShock 3 and Navigation controller playable through Shibari

Youtube Video

After all this time of tinkering and watching byte streams I wanted to experience some results so I've modded Shibari to support the exposed children of the BthPS3 bus and look at them go 😄

Now I can enter some serious testing and do benchmarks without having to write the function driver. In this example the bus children are in Raw PDO mode meaning that the PNP-Manager will bring them up without a function driver required and exposes them to user-land applications which then can talk to them via classic Win32-API CreateFile and DeviceIoControl.

This is of course only an "intermediate stage", I'll still provide HID-minifilter drivers so no additional software will be required to expose the controllers via HID/DI and (probably) XInput.

Stay tuned!

• Castlevania Chronicles Pro-Gameplay by Gordon Freeman

Youtube Video

Pardon the shit quality, recorded this on my HTPC for authenticity and the i3 wasn't really happy 😅

• @nefarius Looking good there! Almost like it's ready for beta testers? 😄 It's been over a week without updates on my favorite tech blog! 😉

• @Locksmith said in Bluetooth Filter Driver for DS3-compatibility - research notes:

@nefarius Looking good there! Almost like it's ready for beta testers? 😄 It's been over a week without updates on my favorite tech blog! 😉

Hey,

no worries, I'm still here, had to take a bit of a break, need to wipe my development PC and reinstall all the fun. Plus I've quit my day job and had to organize a few things and regain a proper sleep schedule 😅

There'll be more updates soon.

Cheers

• Hi Nefarious, i'm actually using your scp toolkit driver for windows, even if incomplete it works well, i have both a ds3 and a ds4, and i really hope that when this project will be finished, both pads will be supported! Congratulations for all the latest progress you made! ^^

• @Luke76bg I hope for the same, mate 😆 glad it brings you joy, we're getting very close, just stay with me 😅

• @nefarius I'm not going anywhere! I can't wait! ^___^

• Thank you very much for the effort you're putting into this project. I can't wait for the beta to be released and being able to use both bluetooth audio and my trusty Vault 13 canteen DS3 controller. Should you need testers, please count me in.

• @nefarius any news? 🙂