Caveman here, spooked by all this

• Originally posted by thelostskeleton

So after months of being fed up with the state of Dualshock 4 support in Windows, between Steam's hit-or-miss implementation and DS4Windows refusing to work with Exclusive mode, I decided to investigate this HIDGuardian thing I've heard about.

I see you have instructions on installing and using HIDGuardian v1, which are scary and poweruser-y, but you do not have instructions for installing and using HIDGuardian v3, despite having a blog post up from three months ago singing the praises for how much better it is than v1.

In fact, there are a lot of things about the downloads you offer here that are kind of presented in a "you know what you're doing so I don't have to tell you" fashion. You have install instructions for ViGEm, but what does ViGEm do, exactly? Nowhere on the site do you actually say this! I saw it get brought up on the DS4Windows GIT issue forum, but only as something "DS4Win may support one day." So what does THAT mean?

I'm flying blind here, folks. All I want is to be able to use my Dualshock 4 and have games actually work with it without having to spend 20 minutes troubleshooting every time a new game starts pitching a fit (especially indie games, which can REALLY struggle with proper controller implementation -- including my own games that I have personally made).

Please advise.

• Originally posted by nefarius

Hello! :wave:

Alright, a lot to clear up there, I'll give it a go. Welcome to the inside of my head :sweat_smile:

>

@thelostskeleton#264 So after months of being fed up with the state of Dualshock 4 support in Windows, between Steam's hit-or-miss implementation and DS4Windows refusing to work with Exclusive mode, I decided to investigate this HIDGuardian thing I've heard about.

Interesting, I assumed - from what I've heard - that the Steam Implementation was fairly solid.

>

@thelostskeleton#264 I see you have instructions on installing and using HIDGuardian v1, which are scary and poweruser-y, but you do not have instructions for installing and using HIDGuardian v3, despite having a blog post up from three months ago singing the praises for how much better it is than v1.

I agree to it looking scary but to be perfectly honest: it is kinda powerful stuff and when you're dealing with specialized device drivers I'm always afraid to "dumb down" the installation because then people will get a false sense of security, if that makes sense. Ofc. all these steps could be wrapped up in a script or setup you'd just need to double-click but do bear in mind: my target audience aren't end-users. Well, not anymore at least :stuck_out_tongue: I give developers low-level tools and try to answer their needs as good as I can. The praise on v3 (which has become v4 in the meantime) was real though, it just takes time. A lot. Nobody else has done this before as far as I'm concerned so for me it's a lot of trial-and-error cycles until I can make more progress. Plus, you know, the usual thing, life, job, you get the drill).

>

@thelostskeleton#264 In fact, there are a lot of things about the downloads you offer here that are kind of presented in a "you know what you're doing so I don't have to tell you" fashion. You have install instructions for ViGEm, but what does ViGEm do, exactly? Nowhere on the site do you actually say this! I saw it get brought up on the DS4Windows GIT issue forum, but only as something "DS4Win may support one day." So what does THAT mean?

True. A lot of it is missing context, I admit. During development of the projects I've going on I pretty often reach a stage where I'm "wait a sec, this is crap, this won't work. Welp, back to the drawing board" which causes massive delays. Plus my motivation to blog is, uh, so so... I *mildly* disagree with not telling what ViGEm does; it's on the repository. Feel free to suggest better wording; I'm not a native English speaker. DS4Windows is currently in a phase where it's switching from ScpVBus (the component taken from ScpToolkit to emulate an x360 pad) to ViGEmBus, which is - in most basic terms - the successor to ScpVBus.

>

@thelostskeleton#264 I'm flying blind here, folks. All I want is to be able to use my Dualshock 4 and have games actually work with it without having to spend 20 minutes troubleshooting every time a new game starts pitching a fit (especially indie games, which can REALLY struggle with proper controller implementation -- including my own games that I have personally made).

Heh, I feel you. I know my realm is a mess, trust me. if you have advise on how to clone a human or on how to get a lot of funds quickly please fill me in :D

>

@thelostskeleton#264 Please advise.

I advise you keep an eye on updates on the blog but most importantly to have a peek at the Discord server, you'll find other like-minded folks with similar issues there eager to chat and help.

Cheers
    The Master Caveman